Kurtis R. Urien
Kurtis Urien is a business transactional attorney and works with emerging and high-growth companies and their investors in connection with entity formation, organization, governance, capital financing, M&A, and employment counseling. Mr. Urien represents companies in a wide range of industries.
Experience and Practice Areas
- Emerging Enterprises and Entrepreneurship
- Securities Law and Compliance
- Employment Counseling
- Capital Markets
- Finance – Lending and Borrowing
- FinTech Law
- Commercial Law
- Contracts – Drafting, Reviewing, and Negotiating
- Real Estate
- Digital Media, Technology, and Entertainment
- Business Succession Planning
- Social Enterprise, Conscious Capitalism, and Impact Investing
Mr. Urien has authored and contributed to law review/journal articles on securities, equity crowdfunding, social entrepreneurship, and the JOBS Act:
- Kurtis Urien & David Groshoff, An Essay Inquiry: Will the JOBS Act’s Transformative Regulatory Regime for Equity Offerings Cost Investment Bankers’ Jobs?, 1 Tex. A&M L. Rev. 559 (2014).
- David Groshoff, Kurtis Urien, and Alex Nguyen, Crowdfunding 6.0: Does the SEC’s FinTechLaw Failure Reveal the Agency’s True Mission to Protect – Solely Accredited – Investors?, 9 Ohio St. Entrepren. Bus. L.J. 277 (2015)
Mr. Urien is currently a part-time lecturer in the Business and Political Science Departments of the American Jewish University in Los Angeles, California. Mr. Urien teaches:
- Business Law and Organizations (I and II)
- Emerging Enterprises’ Legal, Regulatory, and Risk Management Environment
- Business Law Ethics
- Economics and Conscious Capitalism
- Contracts (Law and Drafting)
- Employment Law
- Legal Studies and Ethics
Mr. Urien attended Fresno State where he earned a B.A. in Political Science and attended Western State University College of Law where he earned his J.D. and graduated magna cum laude, ranked number 4 in his class. While at Western, he earned the Distinguished Business Law Scholar award for excellence in business law academics, scholarship, and practical training. Mr. Urien was also awarded Witkin (AmJur) awards for his scholarship in Corporate Finance and Accounting, Federal Income Taxation, and Torts. He was also a member of Western’s law review as a student writer, editor, and symposium board member and served as a Dean’s Fellow where he mentored fellow students
Mr. Urien is a member of the Real Estate section and Young Lawyers’ division of the Orange County Bar Association and is admitted to California State Bar.
Mr. Urien has been recognized by SuperLawyers.com as a 2017, 2018, and 2019 Rising Star and is kind of a big deal. Only up to 2.5% of attorneys in Southern California re selected to Rising Stars.
- Doggies – I love them all
- Outdoors – Hiking, camping, traveling, Bigfoot, etc.
- Food – Yes please
- Sports – Playing and watching
- Astronomy – Believer