Kurtis R. Urien
Kurtis Urien is a business transactional attorney who works with emerging and high-growth companies and their investors in connection with entity formation, organization, governance, capital financing, M&A, and employment counseling. Mr. Urien represents companies in a wide range of industries.
Experience and Practice Areas
- Emerging Enterprises and Entrepreneurship
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Real Estate
- Employment Counseling
- Securities Law and Compliance
- Commercial Law
- Capital Markets
- FinTech Law
- Digital Media, Technology, and Entertainment
- Business Succession Planning
- Social Enterprise, Conscious Capitalism, and Impact Investing
Mr. Urien is the Chair Elect of the Business and Corporate Law section of the Orange County Bar Association and is admitted to California State Bar.
Mr. Urien is currently a professor at American Jewish University’s School of Enterprise Management and Social Impact in Los Angeles, California. Mr. Urien teaches:
- Business Law and Organizations
- Business Law Ethics
- Economics and Conscious Capitalism
- Contracts (Law and Drafting)
- Employment Law
- Finance I and II
Mr. Urien has authored and contributed to law review/journal articles on securities, equity crowdfunding, social entrepreneurship, and the JOBS Act:
- Kurtis Urien & David Groshoff, An Essay Inquiry: Will the JOBS Act’s Transformative Regulatory Regime for Equity Offerings Cost Investment Bankers’ Jobs?, 1 Tex. A&M L. Rev. 559 (2014).
- David Groshoff, Kurtis Urien, and Alex Nguyen, Crowdfunding 6.0: Does the SEC’s FinTechLaw Failure Reveal the Agency’s True Mission to Protect – Solely Accredited – Investors?, 9 Ohio St. Entrepren. Bus. L.J. 277 (2015)
Mr. Urien attended Fresno State where he earned a B.A. in Political Science and attended Western State University College of Law where he earned his J.D. and graduated magna cum laude, ranked number 4 in his class. While at Western, he earned the Distinguished Business Law Scholar award for excellence in business law academics, scholarship, and practical training. Mr. Urien was also awarded Witkin (AmJur) awards for his scholarship in Corporate Finance and Accounting, Federal Income Taxation, and Torts. He was also a member of Western’s law review as a student writer, editor, and symposium board member and served as a Dean’s Fellow where he mentored fellow students
Mr. Urien has been recognized by SuperLawyers.com as a Rising Star for the years 2017 through 2022 which is kind of a big deal. Only up to 2.5% of attorneys in Southern California are selected to Rising Stars.
- Doggies – I love them all
- Outdoors – Hiking, camping, traveling, Bigfoot, etc.
- Food – Yes please
- Sports – Playing and watching
- Astronomy – Believer